Saturday, December 26, 2009

Mini Apple Strudel

Phyllo Dough – that very word makes me want to hit something. Ok, my feelings are not really THAT strong, but I will say it’s bugger to work with. I found this recipe on a Taste of Home email I received, so I bought the Phyllo Dough, then… got mad. I guess it wasn’t horrible… these little strudels just turned out smaller than I had originally thought. The dough is like thin tissue paper and rips and falls apart. If I were to make them again I would certainly use puff pastry instead… you have more control (and I like control). I also used milk and large crystal sugar on top when I baked these. Seemed more strudelly to me. :) Also… do NOT bake these too far in advance… they get gummy and gross. Andy couldn’t even finish it - it had a certain texture… yuck.

Mini Apple Strudels Recipe
What you need!
1-1/2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
Butter-flavored cooking spray
Large Crystal Sugar

What to do!
In a small bowl, combine the apples, sugar, walnuts, flour and cinnamon. Set aside.
Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface (keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out). Spray with butter-flavored spray.
Fold in half widthwise; spray again with butter-flavored spray. Spoon a scant 1/3 cup filling onto phyllo about 2 in. from a short side. Fold side and edges over filling and roll up. Place seam side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat.
With a sharp knife, cut diagonal slits in tops of strudels. Spray strudels with butter-flavored spray. Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10