Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Johnny5 is Alive!

If you are a child of the 80’s or had a child in the 80’s, and see the phrase “Johnny 5’s alive!” you just may know what I’m talking about… if not, here’s a link. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091949/
Now that we’ve gotten that little bit out of the way, introducing…… Johnny5! Oh, he’s a fish. And he is alive. That’s pretty big. Why? Oh, if you have to ask, you don’t know me too well.
When I moved into my town house, it was a quiet place. Since I wasn’t ready for a dog – fish I thought would be great. So off I go to buy a bowl and two fancy goldfish. I gave them names: Leroy and Elmer. Well… sadly, Leroy and Elmer didn’t live more than 48 hours. For some reason I thought it was cute that they were blowing bubbles at the top of the bowl, apparently they were suffocating. Yes, their cry for help and I thought it was cute. Oh yeah, I’m fish owning material.
I cleaned the bowl, and started again with feeder fish, this time I named them #3 and #4. Figuring I wouldn’t name them until they lived past 48 hours. #3 was playing dead around hour 36, I thought he was dead, I dropped him in the toilet to flush him and he sprang back to life… my first instinct? Flush him. Yes…. Fish-a-cide. My name is Erin and I’m a fish killer.
That’s when I had a conversation with someone about fish and why they were dying. I bought a bubbler and some drops… and #4 turned into Cooper the Trooper. He lived! It was great! He lived for almost a year before he kicked it…. Of his own accord. Trust me… I nudged him good before I flushed him.
It’s been about 2 years since a fish has graced the bowl. Andy and I decided to give it another try. He bought me #5 and he lived!! So we’ve named him Johnny5 because he’s alive! We are corny too… Ok it’s mostly me, Andy just goes along with it. Rusty on the other hand, is a bit jealous of the new friend. Eh… he’ll get over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10