Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Out in a Blaze of Strawberries

On a crisp fall day, what could be better than pumpkin pie? Strawberry pie. YES - I said it and I am not taking it back. I personally think strawberry pie trumps pumpkin any day of the week. My strawberry pie is huge - have I mentioned I like strawberries? Oh I'm also allergic to them - eh... pick your battles right? What a way to go right? Out in a blaze of strawberry pie. Anyway...
The crust is something I have been struggling with. I've been buying the premade pie crusts, but they have been shrinking for some reason. So I end up with a tiny little crust down there somewhere. Future note - buy the preformed crusts in the tin foil pans - no shrinkage... plus you get the benefit of a pretty fluted edge that you don't even have to work too hard to make look pretty.

Fresh Strawberry Pie
What you need!
1-1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3-ounce package strawberry Jell-O
2 pounds fresh strawberries, cleaned, hulled and sliced
1-1/2 cups water
1 baked 9-inch deep-dish, or regular 10-inch pie shell

Make it!
In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add water and lemon juice. Over high heat, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cook and stir until slightly thickened and clear, 4 to 5 minutes. Add Jell-O, and stir until dissolved. Allow to cool to room temperature.
Stir strawberries into gelatin mixture. Turn into a baked and cooled 9-inch deep-dish or regular 10-inch pie shell. Chill 4 to 6 hours or until set. Serve topped with whipped cream, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10