Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Death by Pie

So… of all the pies in all the world, my father-in-law had to pick Lemon Meringue Pie for his birthday dessert. Um… yeah… have you heard about my allergies? You know… that silly epi-pen that I am supposed to carry, yeah, allergic to lemon. But, I’m always willing to try a new adventure. I promise I did not do anything with the lemon – that was all Andy – thankfully. I did the meringue and the crust. Andy did great on the filling, I mean it looked good, how do I know?
See from the lovely photo? What a beautiful pie. Um… yeah, I didn’t get a final picture of this pie. Totally forgot, didn’t even think about it! So, you will have to imagine the great final photo, the huge meringue on top that had my finger prints in it because I kept touching it. I have no idea why I kept touching it… but I did… so weird. Dennis (f-i-l) said it was the best lemon pie he’d ever had. How about that? :)

Lemon Meringue Pie
For Meringue:
3 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
1 Tablespoon + 1 Tsp Cornstarch
½ cups Cold Water

For Lemon Filling:
1 cup Granulated Sugar
7 Tablespoons Cornstarch
1 cup Cold Water
1 cup Boiling Water
3 whole Egg Yolks
3 Tablespoons Butter
⅓ cups + 1 Tbls Fresh Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon Grated Lemon Zest
1 whole 9" Or 10" Baked Pie Crust

Also for Meringue:
4 whole Egg Whites
6 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar

Make it!
Before making pie filling, combine 3T sugar, 1T + 1t cornstarch, and 1/2 cup cold water. Cook slowly, stirring constantly until clear. Set aside. This will be added to the meringue later.

For Lemon Filling:
Mix in top of double boiler 1 cup sugar and 7T cornstarch. Add 1 cup cold water and mix until well combined.
Transfer to direct heat (low) and add 1 cup boiling water, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened over low heat.
Place over boiling water in double boiler again, cover and let cook 10 min.
Beat 3 egg yolks and pour small amount of cooked mixture over yolks, beat. Add a little more and beat again.
Add the yolk mixture to the double boiler mixture. Cook and stir for 3 minutes over the boiling water. Remove from heat.
Beat in 3T butter, 1/3 cup + 1T fresh lemon juice, and 1T grated lemon zest. Pour lemon filling into baked pie shell.

For Meringue:
With electric mixer, beat 4 egg whites until frothy, add 6T sugar – 1 or 2T at a time – until stiff peaks form.
When all the sugar has been beaten in, gradually add the cooled thick mixture (from the beginning). Pour meringue over filling, making sure to seal in the edges.
Bake until lightly browned, 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
Don’t touch it… just don’t do it.

1 comment:

  1. Glad your FIL loved the pie so much.

    I have a confession to make - although I'm an accomplished baker, and have made meringue and lemon curd dozens and dozens of times, I have never made a successful lemon meringue pie. It was one of the first recipes I tried as a new bride and it failed miserably, TWICE! I made the same recipe both times and years later found out from the cookbook author that there was an error with the recipe, but still, it gave me a complex and I haven't tried it since. Silly, I know, but hey, that's the way I'm wired. I'll try someday, but I'm in no hurry.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10