Tuesday, August 30, 2011

It’s a Bowl Dirtier

“Cole Slaw? Ick… you eat it Dad.” Thinking back I wonder if my dad had an ulterior motive – teach the kids to hate cole slaw- then it’s all mine! Nah… Pretty sure we said “Eww! Vegetables! Mmmm French Fries!” Regardless of my uninformed youth – today? Love cole slaw. I’m a fan of the mayo variety – Andy? He likes the vinegar based.
This recipe – is a winner – but keep in mind, it’s a bowl dirtier.
Every time I make it… yes every time, I underestimate the size of the bowl when I start slicing the cabbage. It gets tossed into a larger bowl, then ready to add the onion and carrot? Yet another bowl. This time? I was impressed; I got 4 bowls dirty on my path to the perfect sized bowl – the largest glass bowl in the house. Do I ever learn that the glass bowl is the winner? No – sadly no.
I like to make the dressing ahead of time, and store it in a canning jar in the fridge to cool. That way it can he shaken quite a bit before it is tossed with the shredded veggies.

Carolina Cole Slaw
What you need!
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
6 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 medium cabbage (about 1 1/4 pounds), thinly sliced
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 large grated carrot

Make it!
Combine vinegar, sugar, oil, mustard and celery seeds in nonaluminum medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves and dressing comes to boil. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper. Cool completely.

Combine cabbage, onion and carrot in large bowl. Add dressing; toss to coat. Cover; refrigerate until cold, tossing occasionally, at least 2 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; keep refrigerated.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10