Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Awesome of Sauces

Awesome Sauce. Yes… this is what we call it and what we label it. (see my fancy labels?) Why? Because it’s awesome!
Several years ago I canned tomatoes. It was the first time I’d ever done so and I’m not sure how successful I was. I was scared to use them. What if I did it wrong and we all got botulism? You know – in a bad way – not Botox. So they sat. Sad and lonely in the canning cabinet. I read about someone who made their own marinara sauce and stuck it in the freezer – shoot, I can do that! Oh!! The canned tomatoes! So I shook them up to mash them even more – it certainly didn’t take much shaking. :) Away we went. The recipe I somewhat followed had some strange ingredients, so I tweaked where I could, out came Awesome Sauce. I made Andy try it and asked him what he thought. “Awesome.” Ok then! What shall we call it? “Awesome Sauce – of course.” So we aren’t exactly great namers.
So enjoy the Awesome Sauce. Oh yeah! Remember last week’s Lasagna Toss? Here’s the sauce you use. Makes for a quick meal with lots of yummy left overs.

Awesome Sauce
What you need!
1 whole Celery Stalk
1 whole Onion
1 whole Green Pepper
2-¼ cups Tomato Juice
2 cans Diced Tomatoes with juice
½ teaspoons Chili Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
½ Tablespoons Dried Parsley Flakes
1 teaspoon Paprika
⅛ cups Sugar
¼ cups Ketchup
⅛ cups Grated Parmesan Cheese
½ teaspoons Oregano
½ teaspoons Garlic Powder
½ teaspoons Dry Mustard
¼ teaspoons Black Pepper
8 ounces, fluid Tomato Paste (or 12 Oz, If Needed To Make Your Sauce Thicker)

Make it!

Cook celery, onion and green pepper in a medium sauce pan in a small amount of water until very soft. (or you could also cook in a small amount of tomato juice). Add other ingredients. Bring to a rolling boil.
Turn heat down and simmer for about 20-30 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened. Serve hot or cold. Store in freezer.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a sucker for anything "awesome", so I'll be giving this recipe a try. Love the labels!!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10