Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Orange Bible

Growing up – my mom’s pie recipes came from the cooking bible – Betty Crocker’s Cookbook. You know, the orange one from the 1970’s. Several years ago – I was honored recipient of my grandma’s orange bible. It was in great condition – my guess is because she was a great cook – she didn’t need that silly orange book. But me? Oh I treasured it! I still do. I love that my name is written in it right next to hers. There are still questions I have about cuts of meat. Betty knows.
These mini Pumpkin Pies? Betty’s. Granted, Betty was all sorts of fancy and made her own crust. Yeah… I don’t do that anymore. They don’t turn out and they just aren’t very good. Store bought works for me. These little pies are easy and worked better than I ever thought possible. I used a scalloped edge biscuit cutter to get the cute edges. They pop right out of the muffin tins with the help of the parchment handles.
Enjoy this little mini taste of fall. Mmm sure smells like fall.

Betty Crocker’s Old Fashioned Pumpkin Pie – Mini Version
What you need!
Pastry for 9-inch One crust Pie
2 eggs
2 cups mashed cooked pumpkin (1 pound can)
¾ cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ginger
¼ tsp cloves
1 2/3 cups evaporated milk

Make it!
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Rolled out dough and cut into 3 ¾ inch circles. Place strips of parchment paper into muffin tin, place dough round on top and tuck gentle into mold.
Beat eggs, beat in remaining ingredients. Pour into prepared pastries. Bake for 15 minutes.
Reduce oven temperature to 350. Bake for 40 minutes longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool on racks. Serve with whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10