Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Making a Farmer's Day

My dear friend Mandie is so dear to me. Wow… that’s redundant – yet true.
Last year when Mandie and her family came for dinner she brought a jar of salsa. We had some in the fridge so we didn’t open it until this summer. It was awesome. It was just the right amount of everything. By the time I realized the awesomeness of her salsa, it was October. Yes folks… not exactly tomato season. You see… my aunt always has extra tomatoes. I could have gotten bushels of them and made gallons of salsa! Instead I found a farm stand on my way home one night and bought 20 pounds of tomatoes and peppers. I bet I made that farmer’s day. Who else is crazy enough to buy tomatoes in October?
As you can well see I had another case of too small of a bowl – a common problem in my kitchen. Maybe it’s because I’m short – things look bigger since I’m so close to them. Love all the cilantro in this salsa. Mmm can’t wait to open it up and dig in.

Mandie’s Salsa
Makes 10-12 pints
What you need!
12 cups heaping tomatoes chopped
2 cups green peppers chopped
3 large onions chopped
jalapeƱos - 1/3 c. (mild) - 1/2 c. (medium) - 1- cup (hot)
6 cloves garlic minced
1/2 bunch cilantro chopped

Mix above ingredients in a large bowl

Mix together:
12 oz. tomato paste
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons salt
1 cup vinegar

Add tomato sauce ingredients to salsa. Poor into sterilized bottles and process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10