Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Wolfed it down like a milkbone


Here I thought I would struggle to come up with a story for Apple Butter. First I thought – Apple Butter – what isn’t it good on? Broccoli. Oh – yeah… gross. Anyway…
Last Friday night in the midst of making 8 quarts of salsa, I decided to also make apple butter too. Got it all in the crock pot and ready to cook it overnight, then Rusty started not doing well. Seems he accidentally ate a pill he shouldn’t have. (And by accidentally I mean, quite intentionally he ate it. Wolfed it down like a milkbone.) Not surprising the pill did not have the same effect on dogs as humans… quite opposite in fact. I forgot all about the apple butter as I raced to the Emergency Vet. Came home – he was drugged up and OK – still didn’t think about the apple butter. Went to bed at 1:30 AM still no thoughts of the bubbling brew… 6:00AM I bolted straight up – Apple Butter! Ran down – phew… good thing it can’t really be cooked down too much.
I like to smooth out my apple butter with a blender or a food processer. That can be tricky with it being molten lava – but the texture is smooth and spreadable.
Enjoy this on biscuits, ice cream, pork roasts, by the spoonful… I don’t think there is a wrong way. Perhaps the broccoli idea…
Oh… Rusty is fine by the way… back to his normal goofy self. :)


Apple Butter
What you need!
5 pounds granny smith apples, cored, peeled, sliced
2 ½ cups white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon allspice

Make it!
Pile cored, peeled, and sliced apples into crock pot. Top with sugar and spices. Stir to coat the apples. Turn crock pot on high for 1 hour. Stir at the one hour mark and turn down to low. Cook overnight, or 9-10 hours.
Using a food processer or blender, process cooked apples until a smooth consistency.
Pour back into crockpot and cook on high for an additional hour.
Pour into sterilized hot bottles and put in water bath for 10 minutes.
Let cool and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10