Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Randomness from the 1970's


I remember the ice cream bookmark. As long as I can remember baking with my mom – it was that ice cream book mark right where the apple pie recipe was in her 1970’s Orange Betty Crocker’s Cookbook. Wouldn’t you know when my grandma gave me her cookbook – my mom gave me one of her bookmarks? There were others too! I had no idea! All I ever saw was the ice cream… wishful thinking perhaps.
a few weeks ago I showed you the pumpkin pies. What’s pumpkin pie without apple pie? Oh… I guess it’s just pumpkin pie. But apple pie… oh… that’s just sweet goodness. These little pies are made with Granny Smith Apples. They hold their shape – but lend themselves awesome to the sweetness you add. The Lattice top was really easy, I promise. 4 strips, weave them together, plop them on top. No fuss.
In 1970, the book says, apple pie is on the Big Ten list of American Favorites. Um… sure… ok… whatever. Hello Randomness.

Betty Crocker’s Old Fashioned Apple Pie – Mini Version
What you need!
Pastry for 9-inch Two crust Pie
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp flour
¼ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
Dash of salt
5 tart apples – cut into small pieces

Make it!
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Rolled out dough and cut into 3 ¾ inch circles. Place strips of parchment paper into muffin tin, place dough round on top and tuck gentle into mold.
Stir together dry ingredients and mix with apples. Spoon into prepared pastries. With left over pie crust dough – create 4 strips each and make a small lattice top.
Bake for 40 minutes or until crust is brown.
Serve with whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10