Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Saga of the Cat in the Hat

Way back on April we had a few birthdays to celebrate.  Anika turned one, Xander was about to turn three and Miss Erika was going to turn 5 in a few weeks.   Also my mom and Allison threw us a baby shower – all in the same weekend.  Yes, we know how to slam pack our weekends.
First up – the shame of Xander’s cake.  I’ll get the bad one out of the way first – then in a few weeks post the NICE looking cakes.  Note the photos above – you probably are still wondering what it’s supposed to be.
When Allison and I talked about cakes long long ago – she talked about a Cat in the Hat cake.  She made a motion with her hands like it was a high cake.  So I thought – Ok – a stacked cake.  Ugh.  I’m not so great with stacked cakes, but we’ll give it a go.  My dad even made a round white circle stand for it, with wooden dowels.  Andy and I stacked up 4 cakes with frosting in between, I frosted the outside, even gave it the black lines… then it all fell apart right in my hands.  And I mean in my hands.  Andy came around the corner and I was just holding piles of cake and frosting giggling.  Since by that time – we were past being upset about it – we just laughed at the ridiculousness of it.
The kicker in all of this… when I showed Allison the photo… she said “oh, I thought you were going to do cupcakes in the shape of a hat.” Hanging my head in shame.  You see… had I asked and said “you want WHAT?” we might have actually communicated that part and I might have made a cake that my poor nephew recognized.  At least it tasted good… even if it did look like a giant pile of red and white poo. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10