Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Ingredient Needed : Hammer and Salt

Growing up we didn’t have fajitas.  I have no idea why, we just didn’t.  But became an adult?  Love them.  I’ve bought the packets for a while but the last time I was at the store the only packet I could find was a lower sodium packet.  Guess what it needed? Salt.  Shocker right?
I found this mix recipe and it’s pretty much awesome.  Aren’t you impressed by my vast array of spices and where I purchase them from?  It makes my spice baskets really interesting and hard to keep in any kind of organized fashion.  Maybe it’s time to look into an organizer.  Nah… where’s the fun in that?  Then I wouldn’t accidentally drop the open container of dill in a sink full of hot water, soap and dirty baby bottles.  Not… that… that’s happened recently…. Or this weekend…..
On another note… It isn’t often that you need a hammer in the kitchen – this Fajita Mix?  Called for a hammer.  Now, if I had bought chicken bouillon granules I wouldn’t have had nearly as much fun.  The hammer knocks these bouillon cubes into the granules.  Mission Accomplished.
This mix?  A winner.  I might even use it for my family canning recipe!  Hey, why not?  My mom is doing Taco Seasoning.  Hope that isn’t a secret. :)
Side note – see what happened when I mixed some up to use it?  See the cool separations?  Almost like I meant it to do that!

Homemade Fajita Mix
What you need!

3 tbsp Cornstarch
2 tbsp Chili powder
1 tbsp Salt
1 tbsp Paprika
1 tbsp Sugar
2 1/2 tsp Crushed Chicken Bouillon Cube
1 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 tsp Cumin

Make it!
Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and mix.
This makes the equivalent of 3 packets of Fajita Seasoning Mix
Pour into small glass or plastic container, seal tightly and store in a cool, dry place.

What you'll need:4 Chicken Breasts, Boneless, Skinless
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Medium Onion
2 tbsp Oil
3 Tbsp. Fajita Seasoning Mix
1/3 cup Water

Flour Tortillas
Lettuce
Salsa
Sour Cream
Grated Cheddar Cheese

Cut the peppers and onion into strips.

Cut chicken into bite sized pieces or thin strips.

Heat oil in large skillet and add peppers and onions. Cook until veggies are somewhat soft.  Add Chicken and cook until there is no more pink.

Add three tablespoons of the Fajita Seasoning Mix and 1/3 cup of water.

Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir over medium heat until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.

Enjoy a Fajita making dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10