Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The day Google Failed me

Sometimes I see a recipe and think – I have all of those ingredients – I could make it!
Sometimes I look at a recipe and know I don’t have them… so I Google how I could make that missing ingredient.  Well… Sweetened Condensed Milk?  Just buy the can.  Don’t try to make it with butter, powdered sugar and water.  Um… what?  Yeah… where is the milk in this?  Pretty sure it didn’t thicken properly…. But the sugars cooked FAR too hot which caused the bottom layer of these bars to be rock hard.
Let’s pretend I followed the directions correctly and poured a can of sweetened condensed milk on the bottom layer instead.  These bars would be soft and awesome.  They did taste pretty good – despite almost sending us to the dentist for dental work.

Monster Magic Cookie Bars
What you need!
9 full graham crackers
4 tbsp. butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk
approximately 3/4 c. oats
approximately 3/4 c. M&Ms
approximately 3/4 c. chocolate chips
Make it!In a zip top bag, crush the graham crackers using a rolling pin.
Once crushed, add the 4 tbsp. butter to the bag.
Place in the microwave and heat up for about 30 seconds.
Remove from microwave, let out the air and make sure the bag is sealed (maybe let it cool for a second or two!), and “mush” the butter and graham crackers together until fully incorporated.
Press the graham cracker crumbs into a well-greased and parchment lined 9×13 baking dish.
Evenly pour the sweetened condensed milk over the graham cracker layer.
Sprinkle the oats, M&Ms, and chocolate chips evenly over the sweetened condensed milk and gently press in a little.
Bake at 350ยบ for 30 minutes or until browned and pulling away from the edges.
Let cool and serve.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't tried it, but I've seen this recipe as a quick "go-to" for sweetened condensed milk...without cooking it...
    http://www.thetipgarden.com/2011/11/make-your-own-sweetened-condensed-milk.html

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10