Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Awful Photos - Wonderful Recipe - Tin Foil a Must

Minute Rice is just about the only rice I can make.  Let's be honest - Andy is the rice cooker in this house.  I try, really I do.  As soon as a recipe says "long grain rice" I want to move on to the next recipe.  This Ham, Rice, Broccoli casserole was so good, but it called for rice.  I made a double batch and froze a few for the freezer.  When we had it the first time?  Awesome, SO good.  Recently we had one of the freezer meals.  I was in such a rush to get it in the oven and get myself out the door to pick up my daughter, I didn't think.  Rice cooks in liquid, if all that liquid steams away - the rice will be… toothsome - as Andy says.  Oh my was this rice ever toothsome.  I suppose texture is another word for it.  Even Bronwyn - our resident rice lover - asked what it was.
So I guess lesson learned, always included all pertinent cooking instructions on the freezer meals, usually I do, not so much this time.
Maybe next time I'll just make the Instant Rice first - then I can't lose -right?  Maybe?

Veggie, Ham & Cheese Rice Bake

Ingredients:
 2 tablespoons butter
 1/2 medium onion, diced
 1 large carrot, peeled & diced
 1 ear yellow sweet corn
 2 cups steamed broccoli florets
 4 oz. deli ham, diced
 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
 salt & pepper, to taste
 2 pinches ground thyme
 1 cup long grain white rice
 2 cups water
 1 1/2 cups grated medium cheddar cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease baking dish and set aside. {Use a 9×9 square dish or one that is slightly larger.}

Place large skillet over medium heat and melt butter. Saute onions, carrot, corn, and ham 5-7 minutes or until veggies start to soften. Stir in broccoli and cream of chicken soup. Once soup starts to melt into the veggies, add in seasonings, rice and water. Stir to incorporate and remove any lumps. Melt cheese into mixture and pour entire contents of skillet into prepared baking dish. Bake 40 minutes or until rice is completely cooked and no liquid remains. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10