Tuesday, December 22, 2015

An Open Letter to the Mice in my House

 
An Open Letter to the Mice in my house,
Dearest Mice,
Get Out.  My house is not big enough for the you and me.  Not even close.  Oh you think you are so sneaky, scurrying in the walls, pooping under my kitchen sink.  The last straw was not your pooping in the bathroom in the basement, it wasn't running all over Rusty's couch, not even having several or your friends die in various places so we (read that Andy) can dispose of your carcasses... the last straw?  Pooping on my Silpat.  OUT DAMN MOUSE - OUT.  We tried to be nice and not put out traps.  We tried just the special treats for you to eat and take yourself far far away, but you were under my oven, on top of my bakeware.  Not cool.
We even relocated one of your friends.  Granted, he was terrified and probably about to die from the special treats anyway... After Andy caught him in the bucket, we thought long and hard what to do with him.  We even felt bad for the little guy.  Andy even took him for a ride in the car and brought him to a local farm to "relocate" him.  Sure he was a "walking dead mouse" but that's your fault for relocating yourself into our house.
If anyone needs me... I'll be disinfecting my bakeware.  Meanwhile enjoy this recipe for Twix Cookies.  The recipe suggested cutting the cookies in circles and rerolling the dough to make more circles.  I had a 3 year old and a 10 month helping.... this means cutting them into sticks.  I was also recovering from the refusal of an answer to Andy asking "is this black stuff what I think it is?" on my Silpat.
Have I mentioned I used to think I was brave about mice?  Used to be... no longer.
Update:  In preparation for getting the Christmas Tree up - Andy and Bronwyn went through all her toys and cleaned up that corner.  What did they find?  In our living room, among all the toys?  It wasn't Rusty and it wasn't a kitty… a dead mouse.  In my living room!!! UGH!
Further Update: I've had enough - set 2 traps under the sink - so far caught two of the filthy heathens.
 
Twix Cookies
Ingredients
Shortbread Cookies
1½ cups butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups flour
¼ teaspoon salt
 
Caramel Layer
15 oz of caramel
2 Tablespoons evaporated milk
 
Chocolate layer
2 cups milk chocolate chips
2 teaspoons shortening
 
Instructions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2.In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Add vanilla, flour and salt and mix until well combined.
3.Dump dough onto a lightly flour surface.
4.Roll dough out to ½ inch thick.
5.With a small biscuit cutter, cut out cookies and place on greased cookie sheet.
6.Bake at 350 degrees F 14-16 minutes.
7.Remove from oven and let cookies cool completely.
8.Melt caramel according to package directions. Spread over cooled cookies. Let caramel cool completely before spreading on the chocolate.
9.In a small microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening in 30 second increments, stirring in between each increment until melted and smooth. Spread over the tops of cooled caramel.
10.Let chocolate set before eating and serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10