Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Under the Influence of Gardner Guilt (and a little swearing)

So sometimes you have these great ideas and they go really well.  Other times you think zucchini, pineapple, and strawberry Jell-O - how could that go wrong.

Well… I can honestly say I don't clearly know what was going through my head when I decided to make Zucchini Pineapple Strawberry Jam for my family canning exchange.  I'm the biggest proponent of "make something you love - not something weird" and then I stomped all over that sentiment.

Our garden has been great this year.  I can't even tell you how much zucchini we have been able to get out of it.  It's been amazing.  I had some 'bright' idea to look for canning recipes that involved zucchini, because hey why not use something we already have right?

I used my food processor to shred 12 cups of zucchini and cooked it with sugar - LOTS of sugar.  Then pineapple - which by the way is the thing I am most allergic to.  Yet again - why did I pick this recipe?  I can't even try it!  I got to use my immersion blender - which I always love using - and I added the Jell-O.  It was so pretty and pink!

I did the canning process and pulled out the prettiest peach colored weird looking jam.  Um… what?  What happened to the pink?  No idea.  I had Andy help me pack it up - he tasted it… gave a wicked face and said it was interesting.  Hrm…  I had my mom and Gram try it - they said it tasted like pineapple jam with a zing.  Um… wonder what the zing is.  I tried some too from the bit in the fridge that was too small to go in a jar, my opinion?  Oh, I have no idea, I was too worried I was going to die from eating pineapple - I have no idea what it tasted like.

So… let's review things we have learned here.

1. Don't make weird shit for family canning exchanges - stick with something you know and love…

2. Don't make things you are clearly allergic to and cannot even sample.  Just don't do it!

3. Andy is brutally honest when he's cranky

4. Don't swear in your blog posts - people might read it and think you have a potty mouth.

5. Cooking Strawberry Jell-O a second time changes its color.

6. Gardner Guilt is a real thing - feeling like you should do something with your harvest even if it's making weird jelly for your aunts and cousins.

7. These lists will always - always get me in trouble.

8. Sorry Mom.


Strawberry Zucchini Marmalade

6 Cups grated zucchini (squeeze to remove excess water)
6 Cups sugar
1/2 Cup lemon juice
1 large can crushed pineapple (juice and all)
1 (6oz) package strawberry Jello
Boil zucchini and sugar for 20 minutes. Add lemon juice and crushed pineapple. Boil for 5 minutes. Add gelatin and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat, pour into hot jars and seal. Process in water bath for 5 minutes. Makes 6 jelly jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10