Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Cheese Cake Brownie Bars need trimming, lots of trimming

Potlucks are my worst nightmare.  So many different foods, so many different chances to eat something I'm allergic to because I don't know what people made their dish with.  Andy LOVES a good potluck.  A chance to eat so many different things and have things we do not make.
I was heading to Miami for work, but there was a potluck at church for the 20th anniversary of our church.  Did he want to take both kids? Yes!  Oh my.  Really? "You want to juggle both kids and do that? My mom is working so only my dad will be there to possibly help."  Yes he wanted to.  Ok then...
I made a shortcut of a recipe I saw.  The actual recipe called for making the brownies from scratch.  Sure... some things are worth baking from scratch, this time?  Brownies weren't one of those things.  When I checked to see if we had enough cream cheese?  We did - like 4 1/2 bars.  Who has 4 1/2 bars of cream cheese in their fridge?  I guess the girl who once had none and needed to borrow one.  Ha!  So... I made these bars for the potluck.  When I cut them, a few had to be trimmed.... extra.  They just weren't fitting on the plate right.  But they fit right into my mouth.  Oh these I will be making again and some time soon!
How did the potluck go?  Asked Andy - he said "busy".  Ha!

Cheesecake Swirl Brownies
For the Brownies:
Fudge Brownie Mix
Ingredients listed on box
For the Cheesecake:
2 and 1/4 cups cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup plain/all-purpose flour
For the Brownies
Preheat the oven to 350F. Line the bottom and sides of a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two opposite sides. Set aside.
Whisk together ingredients for the brownie mix beating until thick and shiny.
Reserve 1/4 cup of the batter, and set aside. Pour the remaining batter into the prepared pan, and spread out evenly. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until the center of the brownies is mostly set. Allow to cool in the pan on a wire rack whilst preparing the cheesecake.
For the Cheesecake
Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and sugar until combined. Beat in the egg, then fold in the vanilla extract, and flour.
Pour the mixture over the brownie layer and spread out evenly. Spoon the reserved brownie batter on top, and using a toothpick, create swirls.
Bake for 20 - 30 minutes or until the cheesecake center is almost set, but still a little jiggly. Allow to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for 4 - 5 hours. Cut into bars, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10