Tuesday, January 10, 2017

How to avoid the gooey gross



Recently I've become a huge fan of muffins. Maybe it's the lazy in me, but there is something about having your baked good - all wrapped up, no cutting necessary, single serving - done.

Before we went camping to Michigan I thought about making zucchini bread. I love it, but the foil is such a pain in the butt. When you unwrap it, the top is always gooey (why is it always gooey?) and gets stuck. Then you get it all over your hands, you cut a slice and it's all out of whack. One slice is perfect, the next looks like Edward-Scissor-Hands was practicing his bush cutting skills.

Enter - the muffin. Ohhhh the muffin! If I bake these in individual containment units then I can simply pluck one, unwrap like an amazing present, then top with some butter (or vegetable spread in my case) and partake. All this to say, I don't get gooey hands.

How'd it work?

Great!

Want to know what worked even better? The fact that our first morning we had rain, and I mean LOTS of rain. It was so easy to just eat muffins on a napkin rather than having to get cutting boards and extra space to deal with that mess. Want breakfast? Open the container- take a muffin. Done and done.

My children? Fruit Loops… bah… they don't know a good thing. Actually, Nicholas was all "eat eat!" so he did have some. Just be careful not to over pack your pan when you store them - you still could get some of gooey on you… those sneaky buggers.

Zucchini Bread
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
1 tsp Salt
3 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
2 cups grated zucchini
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour

Beat eggs till fluffy. Add sugar, Beat well. Stir in oil, vanilla, and zucchini. Then add dry ingredients. Turn into greased 9 x 13 pan or 2 loaf pans. Bake 325 for 30 and keep checking centers with a toothpick to be sure they come out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10