Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Rows and rows of awesome rolled up with delicious - for the freezer

Freezer Meals – Don’t want to hear about them… move along. Want to hear about something delicious to make and toss in the freezer? Read on.
Our freezer is woefully low on freezer meals – so that means it’s time for me to get moving making a bunch. We also were low on chicken stock. That’s perfect! I can hit two birds with one stone. Baked up two chickens, took all the meat off for the casseroles and left the bones for the chicken stock. This time we decided to pressure can our chicken stock. Guess what that leaves more room in our freezer for? Yes! Freezer Meals! At first Andy wasn’t overly thrilled with the idea of canning the stock, but in the end, he was pretty proud of all those jars full of chickeny goodness.
The first freezer meal up is Chicken Tortilla Bake. My mom made this one years ago when I was a kid and I loved it. At the time – my family wasn’t overly thrilled about it. I have been making it ever since. I used the cut up chicken from the two chickens and made a triple batch of sauce. This gave me 8 casseroles. That’s 8 nights I don’t have to cook a meal from scratch for my family. I realize as my kids get bigger and eat more I will need to increase the size of my casseroles. Right now one of my little casseroles feeds us one meal with very little leftovers. I use my homemade salsa in the recipe – which makes it even better, in my opinion. Add some fresh parsley and this dish – even if it’s from the freezer tastes fresh! I prebake these, so the tortillas get nice and crispy when they go into the freezer. I can’t give you a scientific reason why that works – but it does. It was hard to not dig into one of those casseroles as they cool on the counter – but they’ll be worth it some busy day when we come home and dinner is done. Yum!

Zesty Chicken Tortilla Bake
1/2 cup Miracle Whip Dressing
1/2 cup flour
3 cups milk
1 pkg. (8 oz.) Shredded Cheddar Cheese, divided
1-1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked, cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 cup Salsa
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
16 flour tortillas (6 inch)
Make It
Heat oven to 375°F.
Whisk dressing and flour in medium saucepan until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to boil on medium heat, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 to 3 min. or until thickened. Add 1 cup cheese; cook 5 min. or until melted, stirring constantly. Reserve 1 cup sauce.
Stir chicken, salsa and parsley into remaining sauce; spoon 1/3 cup down center of each tortilla. Roll up. Place 8 roll-ups, seam sides down, in each of 2 (13x9-inch) baking dishes sprayed with cooking spray; top with reserved sauce and remaining cheese.
Bake 25 min. or until heated through.  Serve or Cool and Freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10