Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Ears, Horns, Snowman and Twirls - sometimes the crazy works


“Don’t do it – you’ll regret it!” my dear friend told me about making fondant. I listened the first time. This time? I decided to give it a try. I needed to make a unicorn horn and ears for Bronwyn’s 5th birthday cake. I hunted for recipes but decided to go with the one that had all the ingredients and offered the least amount of work. I let my microwave and stand mixer (fitted with the dough hook) do all the heavy lifting on this one. What came out of my well-worked mixer was like fluffy amazing smelling playdough.
I was able to form several twisty horns and ears from the fondant and let them dry a few days. I used a variety of gold options but the Wilton Spray color by far was the winner. Now I know the secret to fondant!
And really… the snowman. What is the first thing you usually make out of playdough? For me? A snowman – so that was my go to with my extra fondant – a snowman. It had nothing to do with the unicorn cake – just for fun.

Easy Homemade Marshmallow Fondant – Microwave Version

4 cups marshmallows
4 cups powdered sugar (you will need extra for your hands and dusting the surface)
2 tbsp water
Food coloring and flavoring extracts (if desired)

Place the measured powdered sugar in a bowl and the marshmallows/water in a separate microwave safe bowl.
Microwave the marshmallows and water for 60 seconds.
Stir the melted marshmallows down and return to the microwave for 30 seconds
Slowly add the powdered sugar until it resembles fondant. Use a silicone spatula at first, then after it has cooled enough go for it with your hands.
Go to town! Shape it up! Roll it out and do what you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10