Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Potato Perfection Found!


Remember a few weeks ago I told you about some crockpot mashed potatoes we made? They were grey and weird tasting? Mmmm hope you made those and realized my recipes aren't always awesome. Yuck.
Well... Here's what happened. I was on a mission to do better. I still wanted those silky garlicky smashed potatoes! One night Andy and I watched a show on Food Network and they made a steak, shaved brussel sprouts, and smashed garlic potatoes. When I say we watched, let's say that loosely. I am pretty sure Andy was trying to fall asleep and I had the TV on. The show was one that had a funny chef on there and I could hear Andy laughing from time to time - so I guess we'll still say we.
These potatoes are really good - granted I used a tad too much milk, but at least they weren't lumpy! Here's my trick - boil the garlic with the potatoes. What the what? Oh and the other? Dump the hot potatoes and garlic in a stand mixer and with the paddle attachment, beat the crap out of those suckers. Make sure to have a towel covering the bowl or you WILL be playing hot potato with those boiled red potatoes! Youch!
So - silky delicious mashed potato success. What next shall I try to master? Beets that actually taste good? Liver that doesn't make your stomach church? How about making blue food taste OK... Yeah... doubt any of that will happen. Just glad I figured one out that was actually pretty easy and tasted awesome. Oh and the steaks Andy made to go with? Also amazing. I forget how good steak is since I just so rarely buy it. Maybe I should put it on the list again...

Smashed Garlic Potatoes
3 pounds red potatoes, unpeeled
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon kosher salt plus 2 teaspoons
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Place the potatoes, garlic, and 1 tablespoon of salt in a 4-quart saucepan with cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer covered for 25 to 35 minutes, until the potatoes are completely tender. Drain.
In a small saucepan, heat the milk and butter (or heat up in microwave). Transfer the potatoes to an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix them for a few seconds on low speed to break them up. Slowly add the hot milk and butter to the potatoes, mixing on the lowest speed. Fold in the sour cream, the remaining salt, and pepper; season, to taste, and serve immediately. If the potatoes are too thick, add more hot milk and butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10