Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Kurty Russel Brussel Sprout

My uncle Kurt has a nickname all through life... Kurty Russel Brussel Sprout.  He LOVES Brussel Sprouts!  Why?  I have no idea.  Little stinky soggy balls of sulfur.  Ok ok... I'm giving them a bad rap.  They aren't my favorite and I have no reason why.  I don't think before making this dish I've ever eaten them before.  I only know other people who talk about them.
Andy declared brussel sprouts one of three foods he doesn't like but wanted to see if he could like them.  We had heard that if you carmelized them they tasted better.  I saw on a food network show where you could shave them and add some balsamic and bam they were awesome!  Well... a planned fancy dinner meant a fancy side dish (along with green beans for the less adventurous).  I got out my mandoline and started shaving away.  I was careful not to shave any fingers.  I've heard of WAY too many people cutting themselves to not give that slicing death machine some respect.  I fried them up in my fancy butterfly skillet and they were really good!  Andy liked them more than I did - no shock there.  So we did it!!  We turned around one of his dislike foods!  Maybe we'll tackle another next... no... not sure how we could make beets better... Blech.  Sorry Mom.
Oh and PS - My Uncle Kurt's middle name really is Russel and it's true... he likes brussel sprouts... so... yeah. 

Sauteed Shredded Brussels Sprouts
Ingredients
2 (12-ounce) packages fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons good olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon syrupy aged balsamic vinegar
Directions
Place the Brussels sprouts in the feed tube of the food processor fitted with a large slicing disk. (You don't need to core them.) Process until they're all sliced.
Heat the butter and olive oil in a very large (12- to 14-inch) sauté pan over medium to medium-high heat. Add the Brussels sprouts, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper and saute, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes, until crisp-tender and still bright green. Off the heat, stir in the balsamic vinegar, season to taste and serve hot.
Make ahead: Prep the Brussels sprouts and place in a plastic bag with a damp paper towel for up to a day. Saute before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10