Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Stir-Fried Deliciousness


I've been on a stir-fry kick lately. There's something about simple meat and veggie meals with rice that somehow fill me up and make me feel all warm and cozy. It's still winter around these parts (as of this writing it's April 17 and it snowed yesterday - yeah stupid) so something warm and cozy sounds good.
I was smarter this time around since I was making this dinner on a weeknight, I prepped for it on the weekend. I cut up the chicken when it was still partially frozen which made it way easier to cut, chopped the veggies, and made the sauce. When I made the marinade, I read it wrong - I thought it said Rice Wine Vinegar - so that's what I marinated the chicken in, also lots of garlic and ginger. It actually said Rice Wine... or Sherry. I was a little worried. It's possible all that ginger and garlic canceled out the acid in the vinegar, I'm not sure but it worked. It worked so well. My kids declared it delicious, as did Andy. Another winner! Yahoo! I'll be honest my lip and chin were feeling a little numb by the end of dinner. Let's see things this recipe had in it that supposed to be allergic to... garlic, ginger, onion - oops. Eh... it's all good, I'm still kicking, for now. Now on to find another stir-fry to try out. Maybe someday we'll get to some fresh Springlike meals - maybe if Spring ever shows up.
Side note... this time I used the stir-fry pan so Andy was Ok with me calling it a stir-fry.

Onion Scallion Chicken Recipe
Ingredients:
8 oz boneless and skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
2 tablespoon cooking oil
3 stalks scallion, cut into 2-inch strips
1/2 onion, sliced
1-inch piece ginger, peeled and sliced
Marinade:
1 teaspoon corn starch
1 teaspoon Chinese Shaoxing rice wine (or dry sherry)
Brown Sauce:
2 teaspoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon dark soy sauce, for coloring purpose, optional
3 dashes ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon corn starch
3 tablespoons water
Marinate the chicken with all the ingredients in Marinade for 10 minutes. Mix all the ingredients in the Sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
Heat up a wok or skillet with 1 tablespoon of the cooking oil and stir-fry the marinated chicken until the surface turns white (half done). Dish out and set aside.
Heat up the remaining oil and stir-fry the onion and ginger until aromatic. Add the chicken into the wok or skillet and do a few quick stirs before adding the Sauce. Continue to stir-fry until the chicken is completely cooked, then add the scallions into the wok. Do a few quick stirs, dish out and serve hot with steamed rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10