Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Poor Oven Placement and Cinnamon Twist Knots

Cinnamon is my downfall - cinnamon rolls my weakness - Cinnamon Twist Knots? They might be my new best friend - not sure yet... I'm in a new recipe trying kick, I get those every once in a while. Bake all the new things! Cook all the new things! I saw this recipe had the words "easy" and "crunchy cinnamon topping" - um Ok sure let me get my flour!
Another yeast dough - my downfall - sometimes - because yeast doesn't always like to rise for me. I used my trick - turn the oven on, let it cool somewhat and stick that bowl in the oven and let it rise! Then I ran! No honest, I ran on the treadmill! I'm back doing that craziness again, how can I keep eating things like Cinnamon Twist Knots if I don't get moving.
I made these on a Saturday afternoon, as they baked we sat around the island where our oven is located and ate leftovers for dinner. Let's talk about the poor placement of our oven... in the island. How stupid is that? Honestly! No hood, no vent, just an oven stuck into the island. It does have its own vent and it has a fan that runs after you turn it off to try to vent the heat out and cool it down. The problems come in when you (or Andy) cooks hamburgers or pork chops on the range... smoke fills the house - why? No vent! No hood! What the crap! Nothing like your house smelling like burgers for 3 days and having a smoke filled house... moving on... we sat smelling those amazing knots baking and decided they were dessert. Oh and a fine dessert they turned out to be! We used the glaze as a dip, my kids love a good dip. After we were done I drizzled the glaze over the knots - so good. So... yes this is easy - no really if you have a mixer with a dough hook it really is easy. Sure you have to twist the dough and tie a knot - can you tie your shoes? Done. Now can we find a better place for our oven? Please? Maybe in 10 years when we gut the kitchen... Maybe.

Cinnamon Crunch Knots
1 cup warm water
1 packet instant yeast
2 teaspoons honey
2 -2 1/2 cups white whole wheat or all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar
Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons cream cheese at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Instructions:
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine the water, yeast, honey, flour, salt, and olive oil. Knead until the dough comes together, about 1-2 minutes. Cover and let sit in a warm place for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. In a bowl, combine the granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
4. On a floured surface, roll the dough out into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick, adding flour to the dough if it is sticky. Spread the dough with 4 tablespoons butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Fold the dough in half and cut into 12 strips. Twist each strip and then tie into a loose knot, it doesn't need to be perfect. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
5. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Stir the melted butter together with the remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon and the brown sugar. Spoon clumps of the brown sugar mix over the knots (see above photo). This is going to be your "crunch" layer. Transfer to the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden.
6. Meanwhile, make the Glaze. In a medium bowl, beat together the powdered sugar, cream cheese, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons water until smooth and combined. If needed, thin the glaze by adding water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
7. Drizzle glaze over the knots or dip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10