Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Another winter day... another... winter....day..... ugh.

Today is January 49th... or so it seems like at the time of this writing. Winter. Will it ever end? I feel like we are in the awful cycle of a teasing warmish day where the sun is out, the snow and ice melt the earth sighs in relief, then we get nailed by another ice storm, snow, freezing polar vortex, then somehow 23 degrees feels like one of those warmish days. I grow weary of this winter. Years ago before I had to shovel or bundle kids up - I loved winter. I loved the snow, thought it was even magical. The magic is gone. Sure, snow on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day - that is magical. The first snow of the year? Magical. Snow and ice storms on January 49, not so great. This year we've had some ice storms that have left some amazing beauty behind - frozen trees, cars, sidewalks, parking lots... One left me on my ass in the work parking lot - on video no less! Oh, such a proud moment - being texted a video of my biffing it as I left work that day. Ugh.
So... Winter. As of this writing winter is here and stuck... but as of this posting date - I have hope, hope in my heart that the grass will be green (and the grass seed I crazily planted at the end of this awful winter is taking hold and growing), flowers be poking their heads out of the ground, and the earth will be coming alive.
So to that end... here's a cookie recipe. It uses my favorite cinnamon chips. The recipe proclaimed they tasted just like cinnamon rolls - they lied. They are good - but cinnamon rolls? Come on... you can't just say crap like that and get away with it. I did not glaze them because I thought they were sweet enough.
So... Spring - I have hope!! Let's do this thing.

Cinnamon Roll Cookies
Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup salted butter, (2 sticks), softened
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 2/3 cups cinnamon chips
1 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
2 TBS warm water
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium-large bowl, stir flour and baking soda together. Set aside.
Beat butter and sugars with your electric mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 1 minute. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, and then vanilla extract. Reduce speed; gradually add flour mixture, and mix until just combined. Mix in cinnamon and white chocolate chips.
In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop dough and roll each ball in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Place on prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake for about 8-10 minutes, until edges JUST begin to turn golden. Let cookies cool on sheet for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack.
Prepare glaze: In a medium sized bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and warm water until smooth. Spread glaze on cooled cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10