Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Five cheese and a lot of breadcrumbs

Mac and Cheese in our house is generally known as Yellow Noodles and it comes out of a blue box. Sure I tried to make it once before and forgot the key ingredient of milk and it was... dry. This time... new recipe and oh... leftover ham added. I tried so very hard to get the right cheeses for this recipe. My ability to screw up a cheese sauce is legendary in my house. I thought maybe, just maybe if I used the suggested cheeses I'd be good. I looked at Aldi for said Guyre cheese - they had a spot for it - but no cheese. Off to another store I knew would have it. Well, I found three different kinds, the cheapest was $20 a pound. $20 a pound of cheese. I'm sorry but I pay less and a buck for a box of the blue box... I'm not paying $20 to shred my own cheese and hope and pray it's a good one. Back to Aldi for alternate cheese. I did find another spot where they had shredded Gouda and Gurye - but only Gouda left - dang it! So... on to Swiss and Extra Sharp Cheddar instead.
I decided to use Swiss, Extra Sharp Cheddar, Mozerella, and Sharp Cheddar cheese. I was going for super cheesy. I also had extra ham from our family Easter. We had Easter early this year with my family - our Easter (Andy's and mine) will be spent on a cruise ship, so we made a ham and did the egg hunt - the whole business.
I also planned to add asparagus to the mac and cheese because that sounded like a good idea - but I backed out. What if it didn't cook enough? What if it cooked too much? What would that do on reheat? I don't even really like asparagus that much, and neither do the kids. Although we did find out Nicholas could be bribed to clean his plate by offering him asparagus... he wanted more so he finished his noodles... odd.
Well - the recipe is a keeper. It was very good - the breadcrumbs on top were a lot... So much. I would do a third or a quarter next time. SO many bread crumbs. All in all - I think I made a successful mac and cheese with some good leftovers for this week.
Homemade Baked Mac and Cheese
Ingredients
16 oz elbow macaroni, cooked (or other tubular pasta)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
6 tbsp unsalted butter
1/3 cup all purpose flour
3 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
4 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
2 cups Gruyere cheese shredded
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups panko crumbs (I would reduce to 1/2 cup)
4 tbsp butter melted (I would reduce to 1 or 2 tbsp)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese shredded (I would reduce to 1/8th cup)
1/4 tsp smoked paprika (or regular paprika)
Note: We also added about 2 cups of ham

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a large 3 qt or 4 qt baking dish and set aside.Combine shredded cheeses in a large bowl and set aside.
Cook the pasta one minute shy of al dente according to the package instructions. Remove from heat, drain, and place in a large bowl.
Drizzle pasta with olive oil and stir to coat pasta. Set aside to cool while preparing cheese sauce.
Melt butter in a deep saucepan, dutch oven, or stock pot.
Whisk in flour over medium heat and continue whisking for about 1 minute until bubbly and golden.
Gradually whisk in the milk and heavy cream until nice and smooth. Continue whisking until you see bubbles on the surface and then continue cooking and whisking for another 2 minutes. Whisk in salt and pepper.
Add two cups of shredded cheese and whisk until smooth. Add another two cups of shredded cheese and continue whisking until creamy and smooth. Sauce should be nice and thick.
Stir in the cooled pasta until combined and pasta is fully coated with the cheese sauce.
Pour half of the mac and cheese into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining 2 cups of shredded cheese and then the remaining mac and cheese.
In a small bowl, combine panko crumbs, Parmesan cheese, melted butter and paprika. Sprinkle over the top and bake until bubbly and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10