Friday, May 24, 2019

Banana Bread can wait - bring on the Cheesecake Bars


Four years doesn't seem like that long of time until I look at my son and thing, it's a lifetime - his lifetime! Four years I've been at Ozinga and I still chalk it up to one of the best decisions I've ever made.
I'll take any excuse to bake - my 4th anniversary seemed like a great reason to whip up a few good things. First I made banana bread muffins because we had bananas that were past their prime, then Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars. And yes, they were AS good as you think they might be.
The recipe suggested an 9-inch square pan which seemed small for the volume of batter/dough that was going in there. I used a 7 x 11 pan instead and still, a 9 x 13 would have been perfect. Next time - go big or go home. Wait, I can go home?! Please send me! I mean... anyway.... moving on. I made the cookie dough - pretty standard mix. Made the cheesecake mix - a pretty wet soppy mix. Dropped more dough on top - tossed in the oven and just prayed it would turn out OK. I was worried as it baked it might spill over the sides, instead, like a souffle it just rose above the pan, and it worked out great. The bars were really thick, hence the 9 x 13 idea being something legit.
My coworkers tackled the bars first - muffins can wait. I was able to snag a few to take home to Andy to try, but certainly not many.
So four years - four great years! Here's to many more!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake Bars
Crust:
2 cup Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
2/3 cup softened Butter
1/2 cup Sugar
2/3 cup Brown Sugar
1 Egg
2 tsp Vanilla
2 cup Chocolate Chips
Filling:
8 oz softened Cream Cheese
1/2 cup Sugar
1 Egg
1 tsp Vanilla

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350.
Line a 9x9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray.
Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt for crust.
Cream together butter, brown sugar and sugar until fluffy.
Add egg and vanilla and whip to incorporate.
Add flour mixture and mix until incorporated.
Fold in chocolate chips.
Press 2/3 of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan to form an even layer.
Combine filling ingredients and beat until blended.
Spread filling over the cookie dough layer and level.
Crumble remaining crust dough over the filling layer.
Bake for 40 minutes, or until cheesecake is set and cookie dough has browned.
Allow to cool completely and chill before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10