Friday, August 23, 2019

Pies that fit in your hands but melt in your mouth.

I have always wanted to try my hand at making hand pies - always. Why? I have no idea - they seem cute and you hold them in your hand. So far more hand pies I've seen are fried. Great - so there's that risk I'm going to have dough pouch filled will goodness then soaked in oil because I don't trust my frying ability. Also - a vat of boiling oil? Seems like a kitchen fire in the making. But recently we welcomed into our home an air fryer - oh you pretty teal thing... well it says mint on the box. I happened to see a recipe online for air fryer hand pies - oh Ok... I can do that! So truth talk... Right now my personal menu doesn't really include things like pies, sugar, butter, so these hand pies were an act of love for my family.
The recipe called for lard or vegetable shortening along with butter. Um... butter sounds good - so I did all butter, the crusts still turned out great.
When I filled these little babies - I had to keep in mind not to overfill them. More isn't always better, and sometimes I have a hard time remembering that. I put them in the air fryer which clearly needs a name. Maybe we'll work on naming him/her soon. I'll have to ask the kids for suggestions... anyway... air fried away! The crust did not get to be a golden brown - but certainly, they were baked and no soggy bottoms here! I glazed my pies. I used a cup of powdered sugar and some of the excess juice from the apples and a splash of milk. That made for a warm spice-filled sweet glaze on top that was perfect.
Reviews on these pies - they were great. Nice job air fryer! Yet another tasty treat and we didn't have to turn the oven on for it.

Air Fryer Apple Hand Pies

1 red apple
1 green apple
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
3 Tablespoons white sugar
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar

For the crust:
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 Tablespoon sugar
6 Tablespoon butter
3-4 Tablespoon ice water

For the glaze:
leftover liquid from apples
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Chop your apples into tiny pieces and combine all filling ingredients together in a large bowl. Set aside to let the flavor develop.
To make your pie crust, mix the flour, sugar, salt, and butter together with a fork or your hands.
Add 3 Tablespoons of water and knead, adding more to get a cohesive dough.
Roll out your pie crust to a 1/2″ thickness and then cut into your desired pie shapes.
Spoon one tablespoon of the filling into the center of half of the pie shapes, and then place a second pie crust shape overtop. Press around the edges to seal.
Place in the air fryer and add oil to the dispenser.
Bake on 360 for 7-10 minutes, watching carefully.
When cool - mix together leftover liquid from apples and powdered sugar to make a glaze for pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10