Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Getting off track with Butternut Squash Soup

Fall has turned quickly into winter 'round these parts. Brrrr. Feels like soup weather. I found a recipe for Butternut Squash Soup that promised I'd love it even if I didn't like butternut squash. Well let's be honest - I didn't even know if I liked butternut squash but I figured it was worth a try. I used to make butternut squash for the kids when they were babies. I was one of 'those' moms who made all the kids' baby food. It wasn't out of any real reason other than it was cheaper. Sure it was work - but it was WAY cheaper to buy a load of veggies when they were on sale, cook them, then use my handy immersion blender to mash them up, freeze them in ice cube trays and away we went. But this time I'm making soup for Andy and me.... not baby food cubes for the kids.
Peeling that sucker was NOT easy... I saw a video of someone hitting a knife with a rolling pin to cut through a butternut squash... Um, wow. Thankfully I didn't have to do that. I just cut the peel off since there was NO way it was coming off with a veggie peeler. The recipe calls for fresh herbs - I used dried and way less of them. The resulting soup was fine. Not my favorite - but it was good. It kept us warm and cozy, made for some leftovers, but will I make it again? Probably not. Let's be honest. But maybe it's your thing! Go for it! Just remember... if you eat too many orange veggies... your nose will turn orange... it's true... haven't you seen little kids with orange noses from too many orange baby foods? Maybe that was Rudolph's issue... too many red foods... get off track much?

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
3 lb butternut squash cubed
4 garlic cloves
1 onion peeled and quartered
2 tbsp sage finely chopped
1 tbsp thyme
1/2 tbsp kosher salt
1 pinch nutmeg
1 tbsp vegetable oil (or preferred oil)
1/4 cup non fat Greek yogurt
4 cups chicken stock (vegetable stock for vegetarian)

Toss butternut squash, garlic, onion, herbs, salt, and oil in a bowl to coat.
Roast vegetables for 35 minutes at 425 degrees until butternut squash is tender. Flip vegetables halfway through cooking.
If using a blender, blend vegetables in batches with stock and Greek yogurt. If your blender is not heat safe, allow vegetables to cool and reheat soup on the stove once blended.
If using an immersion blender, add all ingredients into a stock pot and blend until smooth.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve immediately or store in an airtight container and serve later. Reheat on the stove.
Add fresh thyme, nutmeg, greens, pepitas, or even bacon to garnish if you'd like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10