Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Shriveled up Grapes Make Kids Happy - Somehow...

One of the many changes we've had to make due to our stay at home order is breakfast at home. Not that we don't know how to make breakfast - it just wasn't something we did during the week at home, now - all the breakfast food. One thing we were having trouble getting was Cinnamon Raisin Swirl Bread - a favorite of the kids. We'd find some weird Apple Strudel or other odd bread, but not the kind they really liked. I thought - oh I can make that.... Let's be real. Sure I can bake some things, I can even do some things justice... bread isn't always one of those things.
I tried my best, likely killed the yeast because I was rushing to put it together, I let it rise... hours I let it rise but maybe I should I have made two loaves? Maybe it was the weather? Maybe it was the raisins, maybe it was me. Guess who still is eating it even though it's a heavy as a brick.
I don't think it's a bad recipe - I think it was a crabby baker. Thankfully my kids still eat it... but I think I'll stick to baking that makes my soul happy- that doesn't include raisins...

Cinnamon Raisin Bread
1 cup Milk
6 Tablespoons butter
2-1/2 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
2 whole eggs
1/3 cup Sugar
3-1/2 cups Flour
1 teaspoon salt

Mix the following in a small bowl
1/2 cup raisins
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons Cinnamon

For rubbing
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Egg And Milk, Mixed Together, For Brushing
Softened Butter, For Smearing And Greasing

Melt butter with milk. Heat until very warm, do NOT boil. Allow this to cool until until you can touch it with your fingers. Drop your yeast in on the top. Stir it gently then let it sit for 10 minutes to proof.
In a bowl mix in your flour and salt and set aside.
In another large bowl ( get your electric mixer ready) Mix sugar and eggs until combined. Now you are ready to pour in the milk/butter/yeast mixture. Mix it and set aside once it's combined. While mixing, add half the flour and beat on medium speed until combined. Add the other half and beat until combined. You want to beat this for about 10 minutes. Adding in just a little ( 1/4 cup flour) if sticky. If it's not sticky don't add more flour.
Grease and flour a bowl. set the dough in the bowl and cover with cloth for about 2 hours. Once the dough has doubled turn out onto floured surface and roll out into a large rectangle.
Using a pastry brush rub the melted butter along the dough, then sprinkle the sugar raisin mixture on top of it.
Starting at the far end, roll dough toward you, keeping it tight and contained. Pinch seam to seal. Spray loaf pan. Place dough, seam down, in the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 2 hours .
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Take plastic off, Brush any left over butter on top of the bread and bake for 40 minutes. It will be nice golden brown. Remove and let cool on wire rack

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10