Friday, November 20, 2020

All the cumin and all the Ranch


By now you likely know my escapades with enchiladas, it's not good. Let's be honest - it's the sauce! It's just not my thing. My coworker promised I'd like the enchiladas that his wife makes, he even sent me the recipe. Now, these aren't enchiladas... by definition, I think enchiladas need actual enchilada sauce on them, which is my major dislike in this whole idea. I'm going rogue and calling this a tortilla bake instead.
Since I have a girl home these days (heading back to daycare didn't go so well fingers crossed for school in August), I use her as my own personal cleaning lady and chef. Yes, she has chores to do. That's life in this house... if you aren't working or going to school, you best be doing something productive. The great thing is that she loves to cook. I helped her here and there, I prebaked the chicken a few days ago (I did not crockpot it, but that would have been easy enough). Bronwyn mixed up all the ingredients declaring that this recipe had way too much Ranch it in. She's not a fan of Ranch dressing. We used an ice cream scoop to make the filling in the tortillas even and away she went! Since it was violin lesson night, it was perfect to toss in the oven before the lesson and pull out right after so we could eat right away.
Even though this recipe had so much Ranch - B declared them delicious. Andy couldn't stop eating them, Nicholas liked them too but he had so much to tell us about school it just takes him longer to eat these days. (His re-entry into daycare has gone as picture perfect as it could have.) Me? I didn't have an issue with the Ranch or much else other than the dang cumin in the taco seasoning. More and more I'm having an allergic reaction to it and well, I have to stop eating because I can't really feel my lower face or my mouth. I thought these were tasty, just probably something I should eat in small amounts. We’ll give them another go – maybe go a little lighter on the taco seasoning… and maybe a touch less Ranch.

Ranch Chicken Tortilla Bake
3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 package taco seasoning
1 package ranch dry salad dressing
1/2 cup bottle ranch
1/2 cup salsa
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 package white flour tortillas
1 can black beans, drained (optional)
1 can mexicorn (or regular corn), drained (optional)

Directions: Cook chicken in crockpot covered with water. Shred chicken and mix with taco seasoning, dry ranch salad dressing, bottled ranch, salsa, corn, and beans.
Grease 9x13 pan. Assemble tortillas with chicken mixture. Drizzle enchiladas with bottled ranch. Top with shredded cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve with ranch and salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10