Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Attempting One Thing - Landed at Another = Smoke Alarm Alerts

I'm from Generation X - I don't actually watch TikTok - I watch when people make Reels of TikToks and put them on Instagram... like other Gen Xer's.... Also I can't install TikTok as it's against my company's cell phone policy... and since I value a paid phone rather than a dumb app, I'm OK with that. Anyway... I ran across this Dumpling Taco recipe and it seemed like an amazing idea. You make flat potstickers - basically... fry them on the meat side, same on the dumpling side, fold - add toppings, dip and eat. Nope. First my wrappers were square and I didn't want to lose any of them - so I left them square. The first set stuck so bad, then were so floppy and slimy, they did not work. Then the smoke alarm would NOT shut up. Nothing was burning but the house was pretty smokey, oops. I ended up putting filling in half of the wrapper and folding it in half so the meat was on the inside. Tope with coleslaw mix and ribbons of carrots (from the veggie peeler), pour on the sauce, tasted like an amazing lazy potsticker. Andy said he preferred normal pot stickers, I think these were way easier, less filling and crimping. They also cooked pretty quickly. So this one may have been a one-time thing, but it was fun to try something new. The kids really enjoyed them, me too. I did take the recipe and adjust it to the potsticker recipe we really like. All the ginger and garlic - yum. Yes I'm allergic to both - back off. We have extra wrappers and frozen pork in the freezer... maybe we need more dumplings in our lives!

Dumpling Tacos
1 lb ground pork
4 spring onions
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp minced ginger
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 egg
25 dumpling wrappers (or however many you use)

Sauce
2 spring onions
1/4 cup good soy sauce
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar

Sliced carrot
Sliced cabbage (coleslaw mix)

Mix together ingredients for the dumplings then scoop 1-2 tsp filling onto a dumpling wrapper until covered and even
In a hot pan with 1 tbsp oil, add dumplings filling side down and fry on high heat for 2 minutes, flip then add 1/2 cup water and cover with a lid for a further 2 minutes. Once water has evaporated let the bottoms fry for 2 more minutes until slightly crispy
Top with carrot and lettuce as well as other fillings you like and dip in the sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10