Sunday, October 11, 2009

Beware of the tin foil

I love bananas… when they are yellow and a little leathery… NOT with any brown spots on them. Well.. that leads to icky bananas – in my book – so I make my mom’s banana bread recipe. Actually it’s my grandma’s recipe.

I line my pans with parchment paper and spray them with Pam. You know how you do things the way your mom did, just because she did them that way and you do them? Yeah that’s not why. My breads always stick. My mom’s doesn’t, but mine do… so I’m fighting it and using the parchment. Why Mom?

We store our foil wrapped banana bread on top of the fridge. Why? Well you know there is all this scientific research blah blah blah… wait no…. if we don’t – our dog Rusty will get it and eat everything, including the foil wrapping. He’s not very discriminatory either - Banana bread, Zucchini Bread, Cinnamon Bread… plain foil sitting on the counter. Also he has no problems eating the foil… stomach of steel. (Just ask my dad about his fun with Rusty and a loaf of Oatmeal Bread.)

These loaves are off to my in-laws… probably one to my bachelor brother-in-law… they always appreciate Erin baked goods.

Banana Bread
What you need!
½ cup margarine softened
½ cup sour milk – or fresh milk with some lemon juice in it
2 cups sugar
Dash of salt
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
1 heaping tsp of baking soda (into sour milk)
3 – 4 ripe bananas mashed

Make it!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream margarine; add sugar, vanilla and salt. Add eggs and mix well. Add flour. Add sour milk with baking soda, then bananas.
Pour into two medium loaf pans sprayed with Pam… or use parchment paper and Pam.
Bake 1 hour until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pans and cool on a rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10