Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Crumbled Heart on Thanksgiving (wow that's dramatic)

Thanksgiving 2012 in my mind is only really in my mind.  I took photos… I really did.  Like this great pie.  We had other lovely shots – great photos of Bronwyn being cute, tongue hanging out since her nose was all stuffed up, family photos that my dad took of the three of us since we were dressed nicely for the day… guess where they are?  I have no idea.  My memory card failed.  So sad.  I was able to recover a few – like of this apple pie.  It really was quite pretty.  So was the Sweet Potato Pie that I also made…  I’ll just have to try again I guess.
This pie was so yummy.  It tasted almost like apple crisp.  Andy helped a lot with it.  He used the apple peeler corer slicer like the pro he is.  He also made the crumble top.  We had to fit the apples in almost like a flower just to get them all in – sure made for quite the apple pie!  So good – we may just have to make it again – soon!
P.S. I have a new memory card and told my camera to behave… let’s see if that’s enough to fix my glitch.

Cinnamon Crumble Apple Pie
What you need!
1 preformed pie crust (or one homemade if you are into that sort of thing)
Filling:
3 1/4 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, sliced 1/4 inch thick
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon lemon juice
pinch of nutmeg
Topping:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup old fashioned oats - not instant
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

Make it!
Use your favorite recipe for pie crust or a preformed crust. Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400 F.
For filling:
Mix all ingredients in large bowl to coat apples.
For topping:
Combine the first 5 ingredients in large bowl. Add chilled butter cubes and cut in until mixture resembles wet sand.
Toss filling to redistribute juices; transfer to crust, mounding in center. Sprinkle the topping over and around apples.
Bake pie on baking sheet until topping is golden, about 40 minutes (cover top with foil if browning too quickly).
Reduce oven temperature to 350 F. Bake until apples in center are tender when pierced and filling is bubbling thickly at edges, about 45 minutes longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10