Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Smaller portions brought to you by…. diabetes.

Getting old is rough, just ask my dad... Somewhere along the line he got himself diabetes.  So when sweets come around?  He sadly has to be careful.  For his birthday a few years ago I made a huge turtle cake with tons of chocolate, caramel and pecans.  It was awesome, he loved it!  This year?  I asked if he wanted the same thing?  "Better only bring enough to eat and take the left overs home."  Oh, that's depressing.  Instead I made them into cupcakes. 
I only did half of them turtle, we have little kids around - and my brother (who won't swallow pills or eat nuts) - who may not be too thrilled with nuts.  Well.. there is also my grandma who is kind of like a little kid who wanted one with sprinkles.
These feature my secret weapon in cupcake making – dry pudding mixes.  I don’t know the way…I do know the yum factor.  The texture and taste are better with the pudding inside.

Turtle Cupcakes
What you need!

1 Chocolate Cake Mix (ingredients required by instructions)
1 Chocolate Pudding Mix
½ cup Caramel Ice Cream topping (approx.)
½ cup Chopped Pecans (approx.)

Make it!
Preheat to oven to cake mix instruction’s temperature.  Mix cake mix according to box directions.  Add pudding mix and whip until thick.  Fill 24 muffin cups.  Spoon approximately 3 teaspoons of caramel into the center of each cupcake.  Using a toothpick or a skewer, swirl the caramel into the cake mix.  Top with a generous amount of pecans. 
Bake according to the box directions.
Once cool – poke holes in top with a toothpick or a skewer.  Spoon additional teaspoon or two of caramel over the top of the cupcake and let soak in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10