Friday, February 1, 2019

Of Pies, Rusty and Insulin

If you read my blog you know I write these way in advance and set them to post in the future. Even I'm surprised when they post and I read them and think, "oh my, I wrote that?!" Just some perspective I'm writing this November 27, 2018 - a few days after Thanksgiving - and on the 23rd, just 4 days ago - we lost our Rusty Bucket. Rusty lived a long long life and we loved him very much. We made the gut wrenching decision that it was time a few days before Thanksgiving and how did I cope with my grief? Bake of course.
I stayed in the kitchen with my bub and made the house smell delicious. I was assigned pies for Thanksgiving so I did Apple Slices (Apple Slab Pie) and Pecan Slab Pie. I like slab pies because they are thin, bake evenly, and those who did eat them claimed they were delicious. (Note: I didn't eat either of them because pie isn't really my thin.)
Did you see the pretty pattern I did with the pecans? What about that fancy crust? That's a home made crust I'll have you know - this recipe calls for store bought - use store bought - make your life just THAT much more easy. I didn't have enough vegetable shortening, so I used butter too. I am only guessing that turned out OK. Andy and my Dad claim it did - they both enjoyed this pie. My dad keeps talking about having to go buy more and more insulin... yep the diabetes life.
We'll miss Rusty - he was the best

Pecan Slab Pie

2 (9-inch) refrigerated pie crusts
8 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup dark brown sugar
4 eggs slightly beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup Light Corn Syrup
1 tablespoon Corn Starch
2 tablespoons bourbon
3 1/2 cups pecan halves

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Lightly flour your work surface. Unroll the pie crusts and stack one on top of the other. Use a rolling pin to roll the crusts into a large rectangle, about 17 x 12-inches. This size will fit perfectly into a 15 x 10-inch sheet pan with a little extra dough to crimp, or fold over to create an edge. Place the pan into the refrigerator while you prepare the filling.
Cream together butter and brown sugar in medium bowl. Add eggs, vanilla, corn syrup, corn starch and bourbon. Blend well.
Place 2 cups pecans in bottom of pie crust. Pour pie mixture over the pecans, then top with remaining 1 1/2 cups pecans.
Bake at 350°F for 40 to 45 minutes or until center appears barely set. Cool to room temperature on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10