Tuesday, May 28, 2019

To Taco or Not to Taco

While we were away on our cruise in Mexico - my coworkers were talking about a Cinco de Mayo party potluck. Let's have a Siete de Mayo party! Sure, why not. I don't mind doing the coordinating - making the sign-up list, sending the reminders, all that jazz. I decided to make a dessert because - well, Mexican food is not usually my thing. Mostly because all the things in it want to kill me. Eh, details. Daycare asked all the parents to help provide lunches for teacher appreciation week/month, I signed up for cupcakes - then found out - Mexican theme. Oof! What could I do?
I found a few bloggers were making taco cupcakes - I can make taco cupcakes! making cute decorations is fun until you have 50 to make and you are really tired of cutting up tiny pieces of candy to fit itty bitty tacos.
These tacos were made of Vanilla Wafers cut in half (which isn't very easy in case you were wondering), then some chocolate frosting for the meat. I had planned on using colored candy melts for the different toppings but only found green - not sure if the mice ran away with all my other colors, but it certainly calls for a trip to the Wilton Sale in a month to restock - right?! Anyway... Lettuce was shaved green candy melts, I chopped them first and realized my tacos were too tiny - so extra cutting required. For cheese, I tried to grate a block of white almond bark but it turned out more like parmesan, especially when I added some yellow color to it. Instead, I cut up some yellow starbursts into teeny tiny pieces. Finally, the tomatoes were cut up Twizzlers. I first cut slices and then realized they were too bit - so, scissors to the rescue to make them smaller.
The cupcakes were a hit. Super simple - yellow cake mix with a vanilla pudding mix (yes I burned a full batch because well, that's how I roll when I'm trying to do too many things at once), homemade buttercream on top with a few sprinkles, and finally the fancy taco on top.
So glad my coworkers and the teachers enjoyed them. On to the next baking adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10