Friday, April 24, 2020

Pizza is Life

Oh, pizza - how we love you - let's count the way! Nah... let's not. Pizza is timeless and delicious, pizza sauce is a different issue. Let's be real - I shop at Aldi - they don't sell pizza sauce. Come on people - get with it... you sell all the toppings and other odds and ends - why not the sauce itself? Sure I canned sauce a while back but to be honest - I'm not super sold on it. I mean it's fine. But that's it - fine. Meh. I found an easy recipe that calls for tomato puree - sigh - another item that Aldi does not sell - but the recipe said - if you can't find.... then do this!! Oh-oh! That's me!!
This sauce is super easy to put together - let it bubble on the stove a while (with the cover on or you'll be cleaning your stovetop too!), I refrigerated it for a while before I used it - but you can probably use it warm too. It tastes like... pizza sauce! Not like something reminiscent of pizza sauce... it is pizza sauce! I made my mom's pizza dough recipe and topped it with all my favorite things, my kids weren't too excited about my favorite things, but that's ok, I enjoyed it. (I think Andy did too.) This recipe I will certainly make again and I won't wait as long between making pizza, because pizza is life.

Pizza Sauce
2 Tablespoons tomato paste plus water to make 1 cup
1⁄4 cup water
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon olive oil
1⁄4 teaspoon lemon juice
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
1⁄8 teaspoon basil
1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder

Combine ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10